Copyright © T. E. Killian -- Christian Author
In chapter 6 of Ephesians, Paul talks about the following subjects:
1. He tells children to obey their parents, and promises them that a blessing would come to them if they did.
2. Fathers must treat their children in such a way that they will grow up to be good Christians.
3. He tells servants/slaves what their duty is toward their masters.
4. He tells masters what their duty is toward their servants/slaves.
5. Put on the whole armor of God as Christian soldiers.
6. They need to pray, especially for Paul so he can freely tell others about Christ.
7. In conclusion, he tells them that if they want to know what he’s doing just ask Tychicus.
7 Render service
with good will,
as to the Lord,
and not to men,
8 knowing that whatever good each one does,
slave or free,
he will receive this back
from the Lord.
The Easy Study Bible Diagramed
Words to study
Render service – to be a slave, serve, do service; in a good sense, to yield obedience; in a bad sense, of those who become slaves to some base power, to yield to, give one’s self up to
good will – goodwill, kindness
Lord – he to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding; master, lord
men – a human being, whether male or female
knowing – to see; to perceive with the eyes; to perceive by any of the senses; notice, discern, discover; to pay attention, observe; to inspect, examine; to look at, behold; to know; to have regard for one, cherish, pay attention to
good – of good constitution or nature; useful, salutary; good, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy; excellent, distinguished; upright, honorable
each one – each, every
does – to make; to make ready, to prepare; to produce, bear, shoot forth; to carry out, to execute
slave – a slave, bondman, man of servile condition; devoted to another to the disregard of one’s own interests; a servant, attendant
free – freeborn; in a civil sense, one who is not a slave; of one who ceases to be a slave, freed, manumitted; free, exempt, unrestrained, not bound by an obligation
will receive back – to care for, take care of, provide for; to take up or carry away in order to care for and preserve; to carry away, bear off; to receive, obtain: the promised blessing; to receive what was previously one’s own, to get back, receive back, recover
Verse 7: The bottom line here is that a Christian’s ultimate reward will come from the Lord. So all service is to be done for Him.
Verse for October 8
7 Render service with good will, as to the Lord, and not to men, 8 knowing that whatever good each one does, slave or free, he will receive this back from the Lord.
7 Do your work with good will, as though you served the Lord, and not to men, 8 remembering that the Lord will reward each of us, whether slave or free, for the good work we do.
Ephesians The Easy Study Bible Commentary